Thursday, March 26, 2009

I am NOT a volunteer

"I am not a volunteer. I am a member of a National Service Organization." According to the extensive orientations given for both of my AmeriCorps positions, these are the words I am to say when asked about what exactly I do. Upon first hearing these instructions, I thought 'Why does this matter?' I can now honestly say that I think it does matter. And it should.

AmeriCorps is more than volunteering a few hours here and there when it can fit in the schedule. It is a way of life. I log 40+ hour a week, working Monday through Friday and occasionally weekend days. It is a full time job. I am responsible for things that others get paid to do. By being at Rebuilding Together, AmeriCorps allows them to accomplish things that would never be possible if they had to hire full-time staff to replace us. One AmeriCorps member means more volunteers that can be brought in, more tasks that can be completed, less time that it takes to complete a home, and ultimately more homeowners back into their homes. In return, I gain skills that I didn't have coming into the program. I am able to walk away with more experience and more confidence. For me, this is more than just giving up a year to do good things. This is an investment of my time.

"This is not a job, it is a year of service. I am not paid and am not on salary, I receive a living stipend." This is my staged response for any questions regarding my compensation.

In exchange for my time, AmeriCorps provides a living stipend. To me, 'stipend' is just a fancy way of saying below minimum wage. With this, I am responsible for paying all of my bills and extra spending. The stipend is set at a level that purposely places me below the poverty line. This design allows for complete understanding of the populations we are serving. Not only do we work with the community, but we live with the community.

Being on a tight budget creates a lifestyle of simple living and cheap entertainment. Luckily, New Orleans has a large AmeriCorps community, so you better believe word spreads quickly when something free or cheap is happening anywhere in the city. I'm learning that the simplicities of life are often more peaceful and enjoyable than the extravagances. It also causes you to be more aware and appreciative when life sends you a gentle blessing, like a free meal or Jazz Fest ticket.

"It is a government funded program that serves as an outlet for Americans to serve their country." How I would ultimately like AmeriCorps to be viewed. A branch of service, as respected and recognized as the branches of the military.

AmeriCorps is filled with individuals who are willing to dedicate time out of their lives to give back to the people of their country. They are bypassing the job market and a chance to move up in the corporate world where finances tend to be a little more comfortable, and instead lend a hand to their fellow citizens where the budget can be a little more meager.

Like the military, it is also filled with individuals who are searching for the next step in life. They are individuals who come straight from high school or college, some who need a break from school, and others who don't like the career path they have chosen. All want to serve their country, yet don't want to carry a gun.

AmeriCorps is evidence to what can happen when a group of individuals comes together to give back to their country. It shows how much can get done when people are dedicated to a cause. It proves how contagious service can be and how one small task spreads hope and brings completely different people together. After my year of service, my beliefs that helping your fellow citizen out, whether that mean your neighbor or someone struggling hundreds of miles away, is what brings a country together. Without the feeling of community, that tends to follow service, people would start to forget what makes our home great.

Recently, the GIVE act proposed was passed by the house, senate, and will be signed by Obama. This act is a huge step forward for the AmeriCorps program. It over triples the number of positions in the corps taking it from 75,000 to 250,000. It also updates the education award, which hasn't been altered since its start 15 years ago; $4,700 (before tax) may have gone somewhere over 15 years ago, but today it hardly makes a dent. Needless to say, I am utterly thrilled about this move. Although, since my eligibility for AmeriCorps is almost completely served I will not be able to directly reap the benefits, it will help those in the future who wish to take advantage of this opportunity.

Another positive that is coming from this proposal is some exposure. Something that ceases to amaze me is how many times, in the last year, I've given the AmeriCorps spiel. Well over 50% of people I meet have never heard of AmeriCorps, and if they have, than they still have no idea what it is. I, myself, had not heard of it as of 2 years ago. I happened to stumble across it while researching for a project at my practicum.

Thank you politicians and president Obama for recognizing the individuals that are dedicating a part of their lives to serve this country. Thank you also, for bringing awareness to the importance of AmeriCorps and what it can do for our country and its youth.

2 comments:

  1. so you've decided to join the americorps...

    well-put. love you, schram!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your insights, thanks for all you have brought with you and cherish the things that you will take away.

    ReplyDelete