Thursday, January 29, 2009

Where I'm at.

So I started a blog. Finally. This is something I wanted to start when I began my adventures last year. To give a little update, I recently moved to New Orleans to be part of an AmeriCorps National program in which I'll work with an organization called Rebuilding Together for eleven months. I learned about Rebuilding Together last year when I participated in AmeriCorps NCCC and spent some time working with them for 7 weeks.

I feel incredibly lucky to be in the place I am right now in my life. A year and a half ago I was th[]is close to applying for a job in Omaha I would have liked, but not LOVED. Instead, I turned it down and sent in my AmeriCorps application instead. That turned out to be one of the best decisions of my life up to this point. In that program, although very difficult at times, I got to see hundreds of things I'd never seen, do hundreds of things I'd never done, learn thousands of things I didn't know, and meet some of the most amazing and inspirational people I've ever met. I also left the program with a little better sense of what direction I want to take in my life.

I'm currently living in a shotgun style house (wikipedia it) in the ninth ward of New Orleans with my roommate, and team leader from last year, Kate. Our house consists of an airmattress, a TV for netflix (thanks bro!!) and a pullout couch we found on Craigslist. Reason number one I LOVE this city, we found an entertainment stand, toaster oven, and dishes on the side of the street, free for us to take. Very exciting.

I just finished up my 3ish weeks of orientation and about to get rolling on the work sites building some houses.

With these blog postings, I hope to let all my family and friends at home know what exactly I'm doing, But also, I want to expose everyone at home to the issues that I'll be seeing/facing in my time down here. By doing so, I hope to give you a little glimpse as to why I'm doing what I'm doing, what keeps me going, and hopefully expose you to things that are also going on around you.

Thank you and love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment